Sunday 30 March 2014

#089 Lost in EmoShawn

I'm not sure what tripped the switch but I ended up going into a full on nostalgia spiral this weekend.

Yesterday I decided to update the music on my iPhone and after about 10 mins of sorting through my music I realize all I wanted to listen to was 80's music, which lead to the realization that I don't have enough in my iTunes, so I spent a couple of hours then and today purchasing music.

I've now got a little over 350 songs, set to shuffle.

I can't wait to go to work tomorrow, as the main reason for music on my iPhone is to have something to listen to on my commute to and from. And with this update, I have enough music loaded so that I won't hear the same song twice for 16 return trips, give or take a slow down in the Metro.

The only down side will likely be some twangs of nostalgia. It's such a bitter sweet thing getting lost in the music of your youth and then to be catapulted back to the present day.

I can remember when I was in my teens, being obsessed with the music of the 50's and 60's and how my Mom would react to my listening to the music of HER youth. I could see something behind her eyes but never understood what it was. Well, I understand it now. How with just a few notes from the beginning of a song you are transported back in time, to when you had not a care in the world, when your whole life was ahead of you, invincible and unstoppable. And then the vision fades and you are back to today, wondering where has the time gone, what would things be like, where would you be now if you had made this decision instead of that back then.  And then the real spirals begin... 

You can very quickly slide down a path of remorse and regret; second guess everything you've done, every decision you've ever made up til today. Personally, whenever I find myself wandering down that path all I have to do is focus on this: 

If I had not made every choice and decision I have made, good or bad, for better or for worse, I would NOT be here, and HERE is where I want to be: on the sofa with Marcel and the dogs. If home is where the heart is, then the sofa is where the Love is.

Time can be a bitch, just make sure you enjoy the ride, and make sure you have the music of your youth.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paulo,
    Thanks for the comments.
    I'm still getting a feel for blogging on a daily basis, most days end up being more an open diary entry letting me vent off steam from the day at work, but sometimes I have a post like this one that writes itself instead of me writing it.

    I'll be checking out some of your blogs (I see you have a few) and I hope that my online translator helps me. :-)

    All the best from Montreal,
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete