Wednesday 26 March 2014

#085 Client DeleShawn - Employment CauShawn

Today at work, we lost 6 client contracts. That makes 11 lost contracts this year.

I'd like to blame our Account Managers, but in reality this goes far above them and it's a systemic issue with the company. They still view us as the main and in many cased sole supplier in the industry in Canada, where in reality we are now one of 3 and they do not understand how to work in a competitive market.

I do fear for my job, but at least not in the short term. After talking with my inside connection, it's likely there's still a good 2-3 years before we go super-nova.  Fortunately to my benefit I'm fully trained in the departments 3 divisions, and am cross-trained into Accounts Receivable and other parts of Contracts and Finance. And what with the current AR employee retiring in Dec and my direct co-worker expected to retire in another year, I am about as secure as anyone can be for the moment. It's unlikely they lay me off and have to train someone else from scratch given that the total training needed for what I have is over two years.

I'm not that naive to think it couldn't happen, but seeing as the mots du jour are 'downsize' and 'cost cutting', the two mentioned above would be ahead of me in departure times.

Regardless I think it's time to update my CV and keep my eyes open for new opportunities.  And hope that I can hang on for a few more years and hope that when the day arrives I'll get a bit of a package... 

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment