Friday 14 March 2014

#073 Lyra

100 years ago today, my Grandmother was born. 
Lyra Grace (Scott) Newbury.



I've spoken about her before, about spending time with her at her house during my summer vacations as a child. She and I are as much Family as Friends. We are birds of a feather, (crows if you asked) It is in part she who started my life long love of Crows. It was she who taught me the Counting Crows poem:


One crow sorrow,
Two crows joy,
Three crows a girl,
Four crows a boy,
Five crows silver,
Six crows gold,
Seven crows a secret never to be told.


From the moment I memorized that poem not a day has gone by that I do not repeat it in my head when I see crows. I will continue repeating it until I repeat a line for each crow I see. And while I repeat the poem, I think of her. 

She passed in May of 2008, and not a day goes by where I don't think of her. I miss her terribly.

In July of 2009 I got a memorial tattoo for her. Some might find it rude or disrespectful, because it's a crow. But to me it's the highest honour.



She sits eternally on my arm, protecting me and watching my back.

Happy Birthday Nanny.
I Love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment