Monday 12 May 2014

#132 DonaShawn

Some days you just wake up and don't have the slightest clue how, a simple picture will completely derail your day...

 Meet Malachi.


This sweet, sweet boy was found wandering about the streets of Oromocto, New Brunswick on the weekend. The posting from the local SPCA mentioned they found him, were seeking any information on him, seeking any tips on his owners. It was shared by a friend in NB who does a lot of work with the SPCA in New Brunswick.

He's in rough shape, but he's been through a slew of tests and has already been placed in Foster Care. The owners have been located and an investigation is underway. (It’s very unclear if this is a case of neglect or a case of a lost family pet)

-

I was almost to work this morning, sitting in the bus, just scrolling through my FB feed on my iPhone and I say his face, and then when I clicked on the image I saw more than his face, I saw his body, or lack thereof. I saw his rib cage, his hips, his knee-bone.  And in that moment, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

I got off the bus and walked to work. Once I got to my desk I logged into FB. I had to take a second, closer look. Maybe I shouldn't have because I was increasingly became a mess. I couldn't really cope with anything at that point. My day had come to a screeching halt. 

I started looking online for more information, and finally found a number for the NBSPCA - Moncton.  I called and offered to make a donation for his care. I was told they could take a donation from me immediately but that if i wanted to donate specifically to the Basset Hound, that I should call the Oromocto location. So I took their number and began to wait.  It was 9am for me and the local office would only open at 10:30am.

That has to be one of the longest 90 minute waits of my life!

I finally got through at about 10:45am and spoke to one of their workers. I explained where I was and why I was calling and after talking about Malachi for a few minutes and hearing he was already in Foster Care, I was markedly relieved.

I don't know why this little fellah affected me so. I've seen similar images in the past, but there was just something in his face. I had to try to help him.

I made the donation on behalf of our two pooches: Santiago and Peanut.

Hears to hoping that he makes a full recovery and gets adopted by a loving family.

No comments:

Post a Comment