Friday 28 February 2014

#059 Caffeine FrustraShawn

In these times of fiscal cut backs, lay-offs and austerity measures at the office we received an inter-office poll today. We were asked the following question:

- How many cups of coffee do you drink at the office per day?

I replied with "None, except between mid November to Late January, when I have 2-3 per day."

I asked the person that was managing the poll what was going on?  She said many people have been complaining about the *FREE* coffee, that they have been requesting the office get a K-cup brewing system. 

--- 

Now, for the record we have a coffee machine with two thermal carafes (because people couldn't agree on one type of coffee). And this is premium coffee here, it's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. 

People are being laid off, but what  people are complaining about is the coffee... that we need a fancy, over priced, environmentally wasteful hunk of junk. 

---

I said to the person that, "Whatever numbers people give to you , you should double or triple...",  because it will be a new toy and the kids in this office like to play.

And then she said something to me that really blew my mind, she said, "That's not what concerns me, I'm worried about people stealing the cups to take home and use them there." 

I was floored, but she had a very valid point. Those cups cost a fortune and I can so see some individuals pocketing a cup or two every day or so.

I said one more thing, "I personally don't want one in the office, It's a waste of money and if people aren't happy with the *FREE* coffee they have now they can go to the Starbucks across the street.  We're trying to save pennies, literally pennies here every day, and these people want to waste money on over-priced coffee cups. Pathetic."

She said, that she agreed with me 100%, but that the General Manager asked her to look into cost. (the genius behind other such great idea as lay off 3 hard working, long time employees, and then 2 weeks later hire a new Director for the Finance Department, to personally assist her.)

So help me, if this happens I will throw such a hissy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment