Thursday 24 April 2014

#114 Over ReacShawns

Why are people so surprised when you do something nice for them?

Two nights ago as I exited Papineau Metro I noticed a person attempting to enter the station. She  was walking with walking aids, I guess she has CP or something similar. As heavy as the doors are to the metro station there was no way she was getting in by herself.  So I walked to the side she was trying to come in and smiled through the window and open the door for her. You could tell she was appreciative, but at the same time I think she was a little surprised I did this (as I was already near the doors of another exit.)  I just smiled and wished her a good evening.

Tonight coming home I was on the Green Line and seated in one of the seats that are priority for the elderly, pregnant or those with reduced mobility.  I'll sit in the seats if it's quiet and not busy, but I'll gladly give my eat up for anyone listed...

Well about 3 stops in an older woman entered so I gave her my seat.  She looked like I had 3 heads. She seemed hesitant to sit down. Why? No idea. At each stop she checked with me if I was getting off the metro car. Why? No idea. When I did exit the car, she did as well. As I was walking up the stairs she touched my arm and thanked me again.  I said, "It's really not necessary, but you are welcome."

When did basic manners and common decency become so rare as to elicit such reactions? Sad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment