Saturday 5 April 2014

#095

My voyage down memory lane continues via music from the 80's. Sadly some of it is not as rosy as you'd want.

On Thursday one of the songs that played on my iPhone was "Love Cats" by the Cure. I was immediately transported back to the Fall of 1986. A large group of us were at a house party in Eastern Passage, and of course, Much Music was on the TV. We were all of us Cure fans especially my friend Sonia and her then boyfriend Rene. 



They made an adorable couple. 

When the video for Love Cats came on the TV both Rene and Sonia sang along and pantomimed the movements from the video. It's indelibly marked in my mind. Like so many songs, they bring back very specific memories for me, places, times, but more specifically people; as if my memory has a soundtrack, including theme music for all the people there.


When I logged into Facebook today I read a status update from Sonia that said that Rene had passed away this morning. Sad news indeed. 

I will however remember him as I always have. The free spirit with a gentle soul.

R.I.P. Rene.

No comments:

Post a Comment