Friday 25 July 2014

#206 Feathered MeditaShawn

Mixed messages.

This morning I was out on the balcony and two crows were on a neighbouring building and cawed "hello" to me. Nice. Put a smile on my face. I waved and said "hello" back. (Yes, I really did)

I got ready and went gleefully to work. It really set the mood for my morning commute. 

Then...

I arrived at the office. Or more specifically I was walking through the parking lot towards the entrance and I saw something that made my heart stop and sink into my stomach... There was a dead crow on the lawn beside the building. I'm assuming he was flying at night and due to some upper floor offices leaving all their lights on (which confuses birds) he hit a window. From his appearance I'd guess it was quick and hopefully painless.

I love crows. I mean, I really REALLY love crows and so this was actually rather sad. 

I moved his body under one of the shrubs that circle the building and then when I looked around I saw many feathers scattered about.  I took three.

Okay, I know that sounds sick and morbid, but is it. We often pick up shed feathers at the beach, and really while these were not shed as naturally, they were loose from the body.  I will keep them and they will be a reminder to me of the fragility of life. That you never know when your time draws to a close. Enjoy the day, live in the moment and just be thankful for where you are every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment