Wednesday 16 July 2014

#197 Office AppreciaShawn

Not two weeks ago I was part of a conversation in the office with two co-workers; one from my Dept (Customer Service) and one from Finance. 

We were discussing the Culture of Employee Appreciation in the Office and how there were very clearly defined boundaries. We were talking about how it was clear just who in Management appreciated their employees.  You see, our office has Seven Company Values that are the core of our "raison d'etre'. Managers of all Departments can nominate their employees for awards based on the seven different values.

Well I've been with the company for almost 8 years, and I know that in the time before me, no one in our Dept has even received an Award.  You go to other other departments and you see award after award on people's desks. It's very clear who in Management appreciates their employees.  And with few exceptions, those in Departments where people are nominated and Awards received, are all hard working people. That's not to say that others in the non award winning departments are not hard workers, (okay in some instances) but when you ignore those people, over time they get worn down, and it's discouraging. Working in the departments with the "Award free" Managers is not conducive to productivity. Trust me I know.

Well today, that history has been re-written.  I received a Service Award for Business Accountability. I can assure you it wasn't only myself that was surprised that someone in our dept was getting an award. I saw the looks on other peoples faces.  What quickly became apparent however was that certain 'rules' remained. I was not nominated by my Manager, but by a Manager from another Department that came to me at 4:55pm last Thursday about an issue that needed to be addressed, but they didn't know how and so they asked for my assistance. (It helps that with all the cross training I've been doing that while I answer to one Manager, I do receive work from others)  Well, It was too late then to work on it, but I told her that I'd jump on it the following morning. And so on Friday morning I jumped. And after two phone calls, 2 emails, and just over 3 hours, issue resolved. Well both she and her boss (in the US) were so impressed at how quickly things were resolved that Bing Bang Boom, she submitted the paper-work on Monday and today I am an Award Winner.AND I get a small bonus too!

I have to say that just that one little acknowledgement really makes a difference. When I have my annual review there will be a mention of the award, and I'll be sure to add some comments to on how nice it was, and not so shockingly how it DOES make a difference.


A good day was had. 
... and tomorrow the Boss is not in. 
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment