Saturday 9 August 2014

#221 Edible DonaShawn

As I entered the grocery store today there was a homeless man and a dog at the entrance with a sign that said something to the effect of "Hungry and on the street, will accept anything offered". He wasn't asking every person that passed, just sitting on the curb, and wishing the people that walked by a good day.

I don't often give money, but then he wasn't asking specifically for that...

As I walked up and down the aisles of the store and was picking up the items on my grocery list, I started adding items to my cart from another list I mentally wrote for the two of them.

Some pre-made sandwiches from the deli, some pop and water, some cheese and apples, some protein granola bars, and some dog food and rawhide chews.

As I exited the grocery store I walked over to the man and handed him the bag of groceries and said that I got him and his dog a few things.  

He looked up into my face, thanked me, said 'God bless you' and then reached out to shake my hand, which I took and gave a firm shake back.  I said I hoped it would help and wished him well.

I walked away and my eyes misted up.  I cannot imagine being there, and pray I never am.  And it makes me question why I don't do more gestures like this. I think we all should. It certainly won't solve his situation but at least I know he and his companion will have a meal or two to fill their stomach and soul.

I have to do this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment